UNRISD is now accepting applications for internships, based within the Communications and Outreach Unit, in the following focus areas:
(i) Digital Media Production; and
(ii) Data Analysis.
Day-to-day communication and outreach activities
- Assist in implementing the Institute’s communication strategy;
- Assist with specific communications and outreach tasks related to current research projects, publications and events;
- Assist in updating and monitoring UNRISD’s social media channels and website;
- Create audiovisual media products to advertise events, publications and projects, including posters, flyers, short reports, podcasts, videos;
- Assist in the analysis of UNRISD’s communications and outreach activities through statistical analysis, database design and construction and through the implementation of new systems.
Digital Media Production Focus Area
- Plan and create posts and social media mini-campaigns for online outreach;
- Monitor the Institute’s social media presence and contribute ideas to strengthen outreach via these channels;
- Promote, plan, record, edit and produce UNRISD podcasts and video products in conjunction with other members of the Communications and Outreach Unit;
- Assist in the processing and interpretation of analytics relating to the institute’s website and other channels used to disseminate publications and information;
- Support research staff in implementing media outreach and communication goals;
- Assist with monitoring, updating and maintaining Content Management System (CMS) databases;
- Assist with the preparation of new information and content for the website.
Data Analysis Focus Area
- Plan, record and edit audiovisual media products related to the work of the institute;
- Create visually appealing advertising products for events, publications and projects;
- Use creative channels to promote the work of the institute to its key audiences.
Desirable skills and competencies for the Digital Media Production Focus Area
- Proactively maintain and update the publication and communication monitoring tools (data tools) with which UNRISD plans activities and uses as a basis for reporting and evaluating;
- Assist in the maintenance of, and improvements to, various UNRISD data monitoring tools (in Excel and Access);
- Design, build and roll out tools to improve institutional monitoring and recording processes.
Desirable skills and competencies for the Data Analysis Focus Area
- Familiarity with Photoshop, Illustrator, inDesign or similar;
- Experience producing high quality digital media outputs;
- Familiarity with video and audio editing software (Audacity, iMovie, Final Cut, Premier or similar).
Essential skills and competencies for all applicants
- Strong data management skills, proficiency in Excel, Access, other spreadsheet or database tools;
- Strong data analysis skills – the ability to analyse and process large amounts of different data and synthesize for lay audiences.
- Willingness to learn and develop new skills on-the-job as an independent problem-solver
- Oral communication
- Interest in, and awareness of, contemporary social development issues
- Fluent written and spoken English essential;
- Working knowledge of French or Spanish an asset.
Shortlisted applicants will be asked to provide a sample of previous work (either in the form of digital media outputs or data analysis work). Shortlisted applicants may be required to take a short test (remotely) prior to being interviewed for the position.
Start date: January 2013 and April 2013 start dates available
Please indicate your preferred start date and focus area
in your written statement. Applicants wishing to work in both focus areas are welcome to apply.
Duration: 3 months
with a possible extension to 4 or 6 months.
This UNRISD internship is in accordance with the rules and regulations of the UN Internship Programme. Interns are not financially remunerated, and UNRISD is not responsible for interns' travel expenses to and from Geneva, or for mandatory medical insurance during the period of the internship. Applicants must be enrolled in a postgraduate degree programme.
The deadline for applications is Sunday 02 December 2012
Central European Time).
If you are interested in the above internship, please apply online by clicking the button below. Kindly note that, due to limited staff resources, only those candidates who are short-listed will be contacted.
Information on vacancies at the Institute is posted on this website. We encourage you to subscribe to our free email alerts service to be informed promptly of any openings.