The United Nations Research Institute for Social Development (UNRISD) is an autonomous research institute within the UN system that undertakes multidisciplinary research and policy analysis on the social dimensions of contemporary development issues. Through our work, we aim to ensure that social equity, inclusion and justice are central to development thinking, policy and practice.
UNRISD is now accepting applications for a three-month internship position, starting in October 2015 to assist with the project on the Politics of Domestic Resource Mobilization for Social Development. For details on the project, please refer to www.unrisd.org/pdrm.
While at UNRISD, the intern will be asked to:
Qualifications, skills and competencies
- contribute to ongoing working tasks related to project management, fundraising activities, external relations or event organization;
- provide research assistance for the project indicated above, a forthcoming institutional report synthesizing findings from the project, and other related projects as required;
- assist with communications activities related to the UNRISD Road to Addis and Beyond Series on financing for social development;
- assist with editing and formatting of publications, and conduct library and Internet searches,
- produce a short draft paper, literature review, article or another similar output, on a subject related to the Politics of Domestic Resource Mobilization project.
This UNRISD internship is in accordance with the rules and regulations of the UN Internship Programme.
- Education in public policy, development studies, development economics, sociology, political science or a related field at an accredited university, with academic and professional experience in issues related to social policy in developing countries. We are especially interested in candidates with strong expertise in finance for development, fiscal policy, taxation and the political economy of revenue policies.
- Written and spoken fluency in English.
- Planning and organizing
The deadline for applications is 31 August 2015 (23:59 Central European Time)
- At the time of application, applicants must meet one of the following requirements (as per UN Secretariat rules regarding interns)
(i) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher)
(ii) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or
(iii) have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (i) and (ii) above) and, if selected, commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
- Interns are not financially remunerated.
- UNRISD is not responsible for interns' travel expenses to and from Geneva, or for mandatory medical insurance during the period of the internship.
, with a start date to be mutually agreed upon. The usual duration of the internship is three months, with the possibility of extension.
If you have the required qualifications and are interested in this position, please apply online by clicking the button below.
Please use the "motivation" section to submit a cover letter specifying your interests and qualifications. In the motivation section, please also make clear how your expertise relates to the UNRISD research on Politics of Domestic Resource Mobilization for Social Development.
Kindly note that, due to limited staff resources, only those candidates who are short-listed will be contacted.
UNRISD vacancies are posted at www.unrisd.org/vacancies
. We encourage you to subscribe to our free email alerts service
to be informed promptly of any openings.