The United Nations Research Institute for Social Development (UNRISD) is an autonomous research institute within the UN system that undertakes multidisciplinary research and policy analysis on the social dimensions of contemporary development issues. Through our work, we aim to ensure that social equity, inclusion and justice are central to development thinking, policy and practice.
UNRISD is now accepting applications for an internship position in the Communications and Outreach Unit, beginning in October 2013. The intern will:
Part I: Communication activities
- Assist with outreach and communication tasks related to UNRISD research and events.
- Assist with updating and maintaining the UNRISD website and social media properties, and with the development of new information for these digital channels.
Part II: UNRISD website
- Draft, edit or proofread briefing papers and news articles on UNRISD events, publications and research for timely use in outreach activities.
- Liaise with relevant partners to promote the work of the Institute.
- Assist as required with editorial and production aspects of a series of UNRISD 50th Anniversary volumes.
- Plan and create posts for social media (Twitter, Facebook, etc.). Contribute ideas to strengthen social media presence.
- Support the planning, creation and/or promotion of UNRISD podcasts and video products.
- Support the planning and organization of the UNRISD Seminar Series and/or other events.
- Assist with monitoring, updating and maintaining Content Management System (CMS) databases.
- Review, edit and proofread content contributed by UNRISD staff via the CMS for online posting.
- Liaise and work with UNRISD staff in order to ensure publicity of ongoing work and new initiatives on the website.
- Assist with the preparation of new information and content for the website.
Desirable skills and competencies
- Fluent written and spoken English essential
- Working knowledge of French or Spanish an asset
- Strong writing ability
- Sharp attention to detail; copyediting and/or proofreading experience an advantage
- Oral communication
Shortlisted applicants will be asked to provide a writing sample.
Deadline for applications:
Monday 9 September 2013 (23:59, Central European Time)
Three months, with the possibility of a one-month extension
This UNRISD internship is in accordance with the rules and regulations of the UN Internship Programme. Applicants must be enrolled in a relevant postgraduate degree programme. Interns are not financially remunerated, and UNRISD is not responsible for interns' travel expenses to and from Geneva, or for mandatory medical insurance during the period of the internship.
If you have the required qualifications and are interested in this position, please apply online by clicking the button below. Please use the "motivation" section to submit a cover letter specifying your interests and qualifications. Kindly note that, due to limited staff resources, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
UNRISD vacancies are posted at www.unrisd.org/vacancies
. We encourage you to subscribe to our free email alerts service
to be informed promptly of any openings.