UNRISD is a policy innovator, according to the Carnegie Council’s Policy Innovations magazine. The Institute stands among the magazine’s core network of organizations, all of which focus on ethics, innovation and globalization.
The magazine’s editor, Evan O’Neil, said that UNRISD was included “Because of the quality of UNRISD research and its relevance to our mission: highlighting the best thinking on a fairer globalization.”
The online magazine was launched in September 2006. Among other things, it features an innovator database of 60 think tanks, research centers, NGOs, and advocacy organizations that drive development policy worldwide. UNRISD partners United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA), the World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER) and the South Centre were also included in the database.
Similarly, the magazine holds a database of people it considers to be policy innovators. Numerous people associated with UNRISD were listed:
- Patrick Bond, Centre for Civil Society at the University of KwaZulu-Natal;
- Diane Elson, Sociology Professor at the University of Essex;
- Jayati Gosh, Professor at the Centre for Economic Studies and Planning, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, India;
- Davesh Kapur, Associate Professor at the University of Texas in Austin’s Center for Global Development;
- Marcio Pochman, Professor at the Institute of Economics, Centro de Estudos Sindicais e de Economia do Trabalho, Universidade Estadual de Campinas in Brazil;
- Barbara Harriss-White, Economist at the University of Oxford’s Department of International Development;
Former Staff and Board members:
- former UNRISD director Thandika Mkandawire, Chair of African Development at the London School of Economics;
- former Board member Gita Sen, Professor at the Centre for Public Policy at the Indian Institute of Management Bangalore and founding member of Development Alternatives with Women for a New Era (DAWN);
- former Board member Amina Mama, Women and Gender Studies Director at the University of California, Davis.
The Policy Innovations magazine
is a product of the Carnegie Council’s Global Policy Innovations Program.