UNRISD requires a Research Analyst to work under the direction of the Research Co-ordinator responsible for the ‘Poverty Reduction and Policy Regimes’ project, the Flagship Report on Poverty to be published in 2009 and future projects under the ‘Democracy, Governance and Wellbeing’ programme.
Specific duties of the post will vary as project needs dictate but are likely to include the following:
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Research support: Assist in editing (substantive and copy-editing) research papers and preparing them for publication; Conduct library and internet searches; Assist in the drafting of new research proposals; UNRISD Research Analysts are encouraged to author or co-author a research paper on a topic relevant to the programme with which they are associated during their period at the institute.
- Project management: Act as a focal point for queries relating to the projects; Maintain databases and files of relevant information; Identify potential researchers who might collaborate with the programme; Maintain and update databases of relevant researchers and research institutes.
- Event organization: Assist with the organization of the launch of the flagship report on poverty, as well as other meetings, workshops and conferences, as required.
- Web site management: Work with the Web Site Manager to maintain the programme site.
- Masters degree in social sciences, economics, development studies or a related area.
- 1-2 years research experience on issues related to poverty, governance and democracy.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Excellent IT skills (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
- Ability to work on own initiative and under minimal supervision.
- An ability to multi-task and adapt to changing demands.
- Quantitative data analysis skills and knowledge of relevant software (e.g. SPSS, Stata).
- Knowledge of a UN language other than English.
- Experience of editing.
- Some developing country experience.
For more information or to apply, please click here