UNRISD Research Coodinator for Gender and Development, Valeria Esquivel, will be a guest lecturer for the online training course Why We Care about Care
, organized by the UN Women Training Centre. “I’m very pleased to be part of this important initiative,” said Valeria Esquivel. “The course has a strong policy focus, and we expect to attract academics, policy makers and people from civil society organizations from the global South and North interested in bringing about a more just social organization of care.”
The course aims to provide a global perspective on care, and builds on an extensive literature in which contributions from the UNRISD project on Political and Social Economy of Care
figure prominently. It will enhance awareness, knowledge and understanding of the critical place care occupies in development, while simultaneously providing skills and tools for analysing and identifying types of interventions and policies for a fair and equal social organization of care to advance human development, gender equality and women's empowerment. The course will be moderated by global expert on care Amaia Pérez Orozco, PhD in International Economics and Development; the other guest lecturers are:
- Francisco Cos-Montiel, Policy Advisor on Economic Empowerment, UN Women (En & Sp)
- Sarah Gammage, Policy Advisor on Economic Institutions, UN Women (En & Sp)
- Shahra Razavi, Chief of Research and Data Section, UN Women (En)
- Jeanine Anderson, Professor and Anthropologist, Pontifical Catholic University in Peru (En & Sp)
- Karina Batthyany, Professor, Universidad de la República de Uruguay (Sp)
- Corina Rodriguez Enriquez, Economist, Interdisciplinary Research Centre on Public Policies (Sp)
The course is taking place over a period of eight weeks, from 27 October to 19 December 2014, and will be taught in English and Spanish.
If you would like to participate in the course, please register
before 15 October 2014 .
The course fee is $1,000; scholarships are available.
Please see the flyer
for more details, or contact email@example.com