The United Nations Research Institute for Social Development (UNRISD) is an autonomous research institute within the UN system that undertakes interdisciplinary research and policy analysis on the social dimensions of contemporary development issues. Through our work, we aim to ensure that social equity, inclusion and justice are central to development thinking, policy and practice.
UNRISD is now accepting applications for an internship position on a part-time basis, starting in March 2018, to assist the Communications and Outreach team. The intern will be based in Geneva.
While at UNRISD, the intern will:
Qualifications, skills and competencies:
- Assist with the preparation and scheduling of posts for UNRISD’s Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn accounts, in order to communicate in a creative and engaging way about the Institute’s research, events, publications, multimedia products, and other activities.
- Draft texts for social media posts; select and prepare the images to be posted.
- Enhance UNRISD’s social media engagement with key audiences by responding to comments and questions, in consultation with the Communications team.
- Monitor various sources for new content and retweets, and identify key accounts and influencers with whom to network.
- Strategize with the team to identify new and innovative ways for UNRISD to use social media and contribute to implementing the agreed actions.
- Develop an editorial calendar planning posts in advance, using Trello or other tools as appropriate.
- Assist the Communications team during Facebook Live streamings and other live events.
The applicant should be pursuing, or have completed, a degree in development studies, public policy, political science, economics, sociology or a related field, or in communications, journalism or advertising, at an accredited university.
The ideal applicant will have:
This UNRISD internship is in accordance with the rules and regulations of the UN Internship Programme.
- A strong interest in social policy and development, communications and development, and good knowledge of the United Nations system and the 2030 Agenda.
- An understanding of digital communications strategies, and social media trends and techniques.
- A passion for communication and content creation: a great writer who is detail oriented and skilled at summarizing information to tell a story.
- Experience of working in communications or advocacy contexts.
- Experience writing for social media, websites or blogs.
- Experience editing images or preparing graphics for social media posts.
- Solid understanding of social media insights and metrics.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and take initiative.
- Capacity to work in an interdisciplinary team.
- Sensitivity toward gender issues (background in gender studies is an asset).
- Excellent command of the English language (knowledge of French is an asset).
- At the time of application, applicants must meet one of the following requirements (as per UN Secretariat rules regarding interns)
(i) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher)
(ii) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or
(iii) have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (i) and (ii) above) and, if selected, commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
- Interns are not financially remunerated.
- UNRISD is not responsible for interns' travel expenses to and from Geneva, or for mandatory medical insurance during the period of the internship.
The deadline for applications is 18 February 2018 (23:59 Central European Time), with a start date on or around 15 March 2018, to be mutually agreed.
The usual duration of the internship is three months, with the possibility of extension to six months.
If you have the required qualifications and are interested in this position, please apply online by clicking the button below.
Please use the "motivation
" section for a cover letter specifying your interests and qualifications.
Please use the “statement
” section to explain your understanding of our communications initiatives and social media presence, as well as your ideas to contribute to them. Kindly note that, due to limited staff resources, only those candidates who are short-listed will be contacted.
UNRISD vacancies are posted at www.unrisd.org/vacancies
. We encourage you to subscribe to our free email alerts service
to be informed promptly of any openings.