The United Nations Research Institute for Social Development (UNRISD) is an autonomous research institute within the UN system that undertakes interdisciplinary research and policy analysis on the social dimensions of contemporary development issues. Through our work, we aim to ensure that social equity, inclusion and justice are central to development thinking, policy and practice.
UNRISD is now accepting applications for a qualified, committed and motivated young professional for the position of Research Analyst in the Institute’s Social Policy and Development Programme, to start in May 2017. Ongoing and future research projects the RA will work on include the Politics of Domestic Resource Mobilization for Social Development
, Valueworks: Effects of Financialization along the Copper Value Chain
; communication and impact activities related to the UNRISD Flagship Report 2016 “Policy Innovations for Transformative Change”
, and new research proposals on Migrant Precarity and Rights; Engaging Elites in Transformative Change; and Governance and the 2030 Agenda.
The Research Analyst will work under the direct supervision of an UNRISD Senior Research Coordinator. Specific duties of the position will vary as project needs evolve, and are likely to include the following:
Required knowledge, skills and competencies
- Research support: Assist in background research related to current and future projects; conduct library and Internet searches; prepare literature reviews and other written inputs; provide detailed comments and feedback on draft research reports commissioned under projects; assist in editing (substantive and copy-editing) research papers and preparing them for publication; assist in background research and drafting of new project proposals; author/co-author at least one publication.
- Project management: Assist in project management and fundraising activities related to ongoing and new projects as required; act as a focal point for queries relating to the overall research area; maintain databases and files of relevant information; identify potential researchers who might collaborate with ongoing and future projects; maintain and update databases of relevant researchers, research institutes and contacts in international organizations; communicate with external networks and consultants; assist in the preparation of reports for funding partners and the UNRISD Board;
- Event organization: Assist with the organization of meetings, workshops and conferences, and work with the Communications and Outreach (C&O) unit to ensure excellent event visibility, attendance and coverage;
- Communications and Outreach: Collaborate with the C&O team on project-level communications, including producing updates about research for internal distribution; draft articles or updates for public briefing notes, UNRISD website, eBulletin and social media channels; regularly update and maintain relevant project pages on the UNRISD website (training will be provided); manage research network members’ contact details; and contribute to expanding UNRISD’s institutional networks and partnerships.
Terms and Conditions
- Master’s degree in political science, economics, development studies or a related area, with specialization in one or several of the following areas: social policy/social protection in a development context, politics of social policy making, financing social policy, extractive industries and social development, migration and social policy, social policy and human rights;
- One to two years research experience;
- Excellent written and spoken English;
- Strong overall communication skills, especially writing and editing;
- Ability to summarize complex analysis and ideas in clear, message-oriented, accessible language;
- Accuracy and an eye for detail;
- Ability to work co-operatively;
- Active listening skills;
- Experience working in developing countries, international environments or networks;
- Knowledge of French and/or Spanish (desirable);
- Skills in quantitative research methods and statistics (desirable).
- This is a full-time position located at the Institute’s offices at the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Salary: CHF 4,400 per month;
- Duration: Initial trial period of six months with the possibility of extension (subject to availability of funding);
- Starting date: 2 May 2017 (negotiable);
- UNRISD is not responsible for medical insurance, which is mandatory for the period of assignment;
- UNRISD will cover one return ticket at least costly fare (if the selected candidate is not residing in Geneva).
- Applicants are advised to become familiar with the general work of UNRISD as well as the UNRISD Strategy 2016-2020 before applying for this position;
- If you are interested in the work elaborated above and have the corresponding qualifications, please apply online by clicking the button below;
- The "motivation" section should be used to submit a cover letter.
- Short-listed applicants will be asked to submit relevant publications and carry out a written assignment before being notified if they have been selected for interview;
- We regret that due to limited staff resources only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
19 March 2017 (Midnight, Central European Time).
UNRISD vacancies are posted at www.unrisd.org/vacancies
. We encourage you to subscribe to our free email alerts service
to be informed promptly of any openings.