The United Nations Research Institute for Social Development (UNRISD) is an autonomous research institute within the UN system that undertakes interdisciplinary research and policy analysis on the social dimensions of contemporary development issues. Through our work, we aim to ensure that social equity, inclusion and justice are central to development thinking, policy and practice.
UNRISD is now accepting applications for an internship position in Geneva, on a full-time or part-time basis, starting in December 2019 or later (to be mutually agreed), to assist the Social and Solidarity Economy (SSE) team.
While at UNRISD, the intern will:
Qualifications, skills and competencies:
- Provide research assistance for ongoing work on the following projects:
- Assist with a range of research-related tasks, including copyediting, proofreading and formatting manuscripts prior to publication, and other day-to-day work related to project management, fundraising, external relations and meetings.
While at UNRISD, interns take part in different types of activities that contribute to building knowledge, skills and capacities in a range of areas, including:
- The applicant should be pursuing, or have completed a degree in public policy, development studies, anthropology, sociology, political science, economics, management studies or a related field at an accredited university.
- Good knowledge of SSE, sustainable development and the 2030 Agenda is essential.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and proofreading skills in English.
- Proficiency in French and/or Spanish; other UN languages (Arabic, Chinese, Russian) an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks, take initiative and work in a team.
This UNRISD internship is in accordance with the rules and regulations of the UN Internship Programme.
- Improved understanding of specific subject matter, in this case SSE and its indicators
- Research skills
- Organizational skills (organisation of events, workshops, other activities)
- Resource mobilization and proposal writing
- Communication, writing and editorial skills
- Time management skills
The deadline for applications is 3 November 2019 (23:59 Central European Time)
- At the time of application, applicants must meet one of the following requirements (as per UN Secretariat rules regarding interns);
(i) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
(ii) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent) or;
(iii) have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (i) and (ii) above) and, if selected, commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation;
- Interns are not financially remunerated;
- UNRISD is not responsible for interns' travel expenses to and from Geneva, or for mandatory medical insurance during the period of the internship.
. The internship is in Geneva, Switzerland, and will commence in December 2019 or later (to be mutually agreed). Full-time and part-time applicants will be considered. The usual duration of the internship is three months, with the possibility of extension up to six months.
If you have the required qualifications and are interested in this position, please apply online by clicking the button below.
Kindly note that, due to limited staff resources, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
UNRISD vacancies are posted at www.unrisd.org/vacancies
. We encourage you to sign up for MyUNRISD
informed promptly of any openings.