The United Nations Research Institute for Social Development (UNRISD) is an autonomous research institute within the UN system that undertakes interdisciplinary research and policy analysis on the social dimensions of contemporary development issues. Through our work, we aim to ensure that social equity, inclusion and justice are central to development thinking, policy and practice.
UNRISD is now accepting applications from qualified, committed and motivated young professionals for a position as Research Analyst for its Bonn Office, starting as soon as possible.
The work programme led from the UNRISD Bonn office has three objectives:
- strengthen the Bonn ecosystem for sustainable development through an integrated approach to knowledge and skills development, where research feeds into training and capacity building activities and is informed by their needs;
- elaborate a joint research-capacity building strategy through identification and mapping of relevant knowledge gaps and the implementation of corresponding research activities;
- strengthen evidence-based SDG implementation and research uptake by UN and other development partners through collaboration with partner organizations in Bonn.
The Research Analyst will work under the direct supervision of the Senior Research Coordinator and Head of Office. The Research Analyst will carry out the following tasks:
Required knowledge, skills and competencies
- Assist with all aspects related to the efficient establishment of the UNRISD Bonn office and implementation of administrative procedures for settling in and opening the office.
- Support networking and communications work to increase UNRISD visibility in Bonn.
- Assist in the development of a programme of work for the newly established office, aligned with the UNRISD Institutional Strategy and in close liaison with the UNRISD office in Geneva.
- Contribute to the drafting and production of information material on the UNRISD Bonn Programme of Work targeted at Bonn-based institutions and broader German ecosystem.
- Assist in the preparation of project concept notes and funding proposals, identify research partners, organize meetings and seminars.
- Initiate collaborations with partners in the Bonn sustainability hub and assist in channelling research into capacity building and training activities.
- Carry out background research and other activities as assigned by the Senior Research Coordinator and Head of Office.
Terms and conditions
- Master’s degree in development studies, geography, sociology, political science, economics or related field
- Two years of relevant work experience, preferably in an international setting
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Knowledge of other UN languages desirable, German an asset
- Competencies: Planning and Organizing; Client Orientation; Teamwork; Communication
- This is a full-time position for five months in order to support the establishment of the Institute’s new office in Bonn, Germany.
- Gross salary: EUR 4,000/month
- Duration: Five months
- Starting date: As soon as possible.
- The Research Analyst will be hired by the United Nations Office at Geneva as a Consultant/Individual Contractor. S/he is responsible for ensuring compliance with all relevant tax obligations, social insurance contributions, and appropriate medical and accident insurance coverage for the full duration of employment in Bonn, Germany.
- UNRISD will cover one return ticket at least costly fare (if the selected applicant is not residing in Bonn).
- Applicants are advised to become familiar with the work of UNRISD, including the UNRISD Strategy 2016-2020, before applying for this position.
- If you are interested in the work elaborated above and have the corresponding qualifications, please apply online by clicking the button below.
- UNRISD is committed to achieving personnel diversity and all individuals are equally encouraged to apply.
- Please ensure that your cover letter clearly specifies how your interests, qualifications, profile and experience relate to the functions specified above.
- Short-listed applicants will be asked to carry out a written assignment before being notified if they have been selected for interview.
- We regret that due to limited staff resources only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
16 February 2020 (23:59, Central European Time)
UNRISD vacancies are posted at www.unrisd.org/vacancies
We encourage you to subscribe to our free email alerts service
to be informed promptly of any openings.