The United Nations Research Institute for Social Development (UNRISD) is an autonomous research institute within the UN system that undertakes interdisciplinary research and policy analysis on the social dimensions of contemporary development issues. Through our work, we aim to ensure that social equity, inclusion and justice are central to development thinking, policy and practice.
UNRISD is now accepting applications for an internship position, starting in January 2018, to assist the Social Dimensions of Sustainable Development programme. Specifically, the intern will work on the ongoing project Social and Solidarity Economy for the SDGs: Spotlight on the Social Economy in Seoul
. The position will be based at UNRISD in Geneva.
While at UNRISD, the intern will:
Qualifications, skills and competencies:
- Provide research assistance for the research project on the social economy (SE) in Seoul, Republic of Korea, and other related projects as required. This includes review of the existing literature on social and solidarity economy (SSE) and public policies for SSE, and assistance with the development of evidence-based methods for measuring the impact of SSE towards implementing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Assist with copyediting and proofreading of research reports.
- Contribute to ongoing tasks related to project management, fundraising activities, external relations, meetings and event organization.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This UNRISD internship is in accordance with the rules and regulations of the UN Internship Programme.
- The applicant should be pursuing, or have completed, a degree in public policy, economics, development studies, political science, sociology or another related social science discipline at an accredited university.
- Knowledge of social and solidarity economy is desirable.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and editorial skills in English; knowledge of Korean is desirable.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals.
- Ability to honour commitments and take ownership of all responsibilities.
- A keen interest in the work of the United Nations.
The deadline for applications is 25 December 2017 (23:59 Central European Time)
- At the time of application, applicants must meet one of the following requirements (as per UN Secretariat rules regarding interns);
(i) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
(ii) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent) or;
(iii) have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (i) and (ii) above) and, if selected, commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation;
- Interns are not financially remunerated;
- UNRISD is not responsible for interns' travel expenses to and from Geneva, or for mandatory medical insurance during the period of the internship.
, with a start date in January 2018 to be mutually agreed. The usual duration of the internship is three months, with the possibility of extension up to six months.
If you have the required qualifications and are interested in this position, please apply online by clicking the button below.
Please use the "motivation" section to submit a cover letter specifying your interests and qualifications. Please use the “statement" section to discuss your knowledge of social and solidarity economy and social impact measurement. Kindly note that, due to limited staff resources, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
UNRISD vacancies are posted at www.unrisd.org/vacancies. We encourage you to subscribe to our free email alerts service to be informed promptly of any openings.