The United Nations Research Institute for Social Development (UNRISD) is an autonomous research institute within the UN system that undertakes interdisciplinary research and policy analysis on the social dimensions of contemporary development issues. Through our work, we aim to ensure that social equity, inclusion and justice are central to development thinking, policy and practice.
UNRISD is now accepting applications for an internship position, starting in March or April 2017, to assist the SSE team with a new research project on the social economy (SE) in Seoul, Republic of Korea. The intern may be based in Korea, or at UNRISD in Geneva.
Qualifications, skills and competencies:
- The applicant should be pursuing, or have completed, a degree in public policy, development studies, anthropology, sociology, political science, economics, or a related field at an accredited university;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Korean;
- Good knowledge of social and solidarity economy, sustainable development and the 2030 Agenda;
- Skills of qualitative and quantitative assessment and impact measurement methods are an advantage;
- Excellent writing and communications skills and capacity to work in a team is essential.
While at UNRISD, the intern will:
This UNRISD internship is in accordance with the rules and regulations of the UN Internship Programme.
- Provide research assistance for the new research project. This includes review of the existing literature on social and solidarity economy (SSE), and public policies for SE, in the Republic of Korea and in Seoul (including materials in Korean); and assistance with the development of evidence-based methods for measuring the impact of SSE towards implementing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs);
- Contribute to ongoing tasks related to project management, fundraising activities, external relations, meetings and event organization.
The deadline for applications is 28 February 2017 (23:59 Central European Time)
- At the time of application, applicants must meet one of the following requirements (as per UN Secretariat rules regarding interns);
(i) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
(ii) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent) or;
(iii) have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (i) and (ii) above) and, if selected, commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation;
- Interns are not financially remunerated;
- UNRISD is not responsible for interns' travel expenses to and from Geneva, or for mandatory medical insurance during the period of the internship.
, with a start date in March or April 2017 to be mutually agreed. The usual duration of the internship is three months, with the possibility of extension.
If you have the required qualifications and are interested in this position, please apply online by clicking the button below.
Please use the "motivation" section to submit a cover letter specifying your interests and qualifications. Please use the “statement" section to discuss your knowledge of social and solidarity economy and social impact measurement. Kindly note that, due to limited staff resources, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
UNRISD vacancies are posted at www.unrisd.org/vacancies. We encourage you to subscribe to our free email alerts service to be informed promptly of any openings.