The United Nations Research Institute for Social Development (UNRISD) is an autonomous research institute within the UN system that undertakes interdisciplinary research and policy analysis on the social dimensions of contemporary development issues. Through our work, we aim to ensure that social equity, inclusion and justice are central to development thinking, policy and practice.
UNRISD is now accepting applications from qualified, committed and motivated young professionals for a position as Research Analyst in the area of Social and Solidarity Economy, starting in February 2020.
The Research Analyst will work under the direct supervision of an UNRISD Senior Research Coordinator. The Research Analyst will work primarily on a research project on social value and impact measurement tools (Sustainable Development Performance Indicators
) and other ongoing and future projects in the area of social and solidarity economy (SSE). Specific duties of the position will vary as project needs evolve, and are likely to include the following:
Required knowledge, skills and competencies
- Research support: Assist in research related to SSE in general, and particularly the project on social value and impact measurement tools (Sustainable Development Performance Indicators). This includes review of the existing literature on social value and impact assessment tools (associated with sustainability reporting and with SSE impact measurement); provision of detailed comments and feedback on commissioned research reports; assistance with development of indicators for for-profit enterprises and SSE organizations and enterprises; copy-editing of research papers and preparing them for publication; assistance with drafting of new project proposals; and publication of at least one authored/co-authored research paper.
- Project management: Assist in project management and fundraising activities related to ongoing and new projects as required; act as a focal point for queries relating to the overall research area; maintain databases and files of relevant information; identify potential researchers who might collaborate with ongoing and future projects; maintain and update databases of relevant researchers, research institutes and contacts in international organizations; communicate with external networks and consultants; assist in the preparation of reports for funding partners and the UNRISD Board.
- Event organization: Assist with the organization of meetings, workshops and conferences, and work with UNRISD's Communications and Outreach (C&O) Unit to ensure excellent event visibility, attendance and coverage.
- Communications and Outreach: Collaborate with the C&O team on project-level communications, including producing updates about research for internal distribution, drafting articles or updates for public briefing notes, UNRISD website, eBulletin and social media channels; regularly update and maintain relevant project pages on the UNRISD website (training will be provided); manage research network members’ contact details; and contribute to expanding UNRISD’s institutional networks and partnerships.
Terms and Conditions
- Master’s degree in a discipline associated with SSE studies, or with the social value and impact measurement fields, such as political science, management studies, economics, development studies or a related area, with excellent knowledge of social and solidarity economy and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- One to two years of research experience
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Strong overall communication skills, especially writing and editing (English)
- Ability to summarize complex analysis and ideas in clear, message-oriented, accessible language
- Accuracy and an eye for detail
- Ability to work co-operatively
- Active listening skills
- Experience working in developing countries, international environments or networks
- Knowledge of another UN official language an asset
- Skills in quantitative/qualitative research methods and statistics
- This is a full-time position located at the Institute’s offices at the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Gross Salary: CHF 5,900 per month
- Duration: One year (including satisfactory completion of three-month trial period), with the possibility of extension (subject to availability of funding).
- Starting date: February 2019 (negotiable).
- The Research Analyst will be hired by the United Nations office at Geneva as a Consultant / Individual Contractor. S/he is responsible for ensuring compliance with all relevant tax obligations, social insurance contributions, and appropriate medical and accident insurance coverage for the full duration of employment in Geneva.
- UNRISD will cover one return ticket at least costly fare (if the selected candidate is not residing in Geneva).
- Applicants are advised to become familiar with the general work of UNRISD as well as the UNRISD Strategy 2016-2020 before applying for this position;
- If you are interested in the work elaborated above and have the corresponding qualifications, please apply online by clicking the button below;
- The "motivation" section should be used to submit a cover letter;
- Short-listed applicants will be asked to submit relevant publications and carry out a written assignment before being notified if they have been selected for interview;
- We regret that due to limited staff resources only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
31 December 2019 (23:59, Central European Time).
UNRISD vacancies are posted at www.unrisd.org/vacancies
. We encourage you to subscribe to our free email alerts service
to be informed promptly of any openings.