Andrea Kaufmann worked at UNRISD from July 2014 to July 2016 with Valeria Esquivel and Paola Cagna on the research programme on Gender and Development. She has a PhD in social anthropology from University of Basel, Switzerland. She has obtained her PhD on political associations at the intersection of state and society in post-war Liberia. Her ethnographic research included women’s movements in demand of change and their impact on social, political or cultural change in the war-affected setting. Andrea’s main interests are in the fields of gender and development, with a focus on political participation and social relations in post-war societies, in particular in the West African conflict region (Liberia, Sierra Leone, Côte d’Ivoire and Guinea).
Andrea's position was funded by the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs through the Swiss Expert Pool for Civilian Peacebuilding.
- Innovations in Care: New Concepts, New Actors, New Policies (with Valeria Esquivel). Berlin: Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung, 2017.
- Heitz Tokpa, Katharina, Andrea Kaufmann and Franzisca Zanker. 2014. "Der Ebola-Ausbruch im Vergleich: Liberia und Côte d’Ivoire“. GIGA Focus 9:1-8.
- Ammann, Carole and Andrea Kaufmann (2014): Politics of ethnicity in Monrovia, Liberia and Kankan, Guinea – A comparative analysis. Journal of the Mande Studies Association (14): 57-98.
- Kaufmann, Andrea (2011): Mobilizing for improvement. An empirical study of a women's movement in West Point, Liberia. Stichproben. Wiener Zeitschrift für kritische Afrikastudien (20): 163-188.
- Kaufmann, Andrea (2011): “But things are coming small small, that’s how we’re seeing it.” Agency of a Liberian women’s organisation in a context of insecurity, scarcity, and uncertainty. Basel Working Papers on Political Transformation (2).
- Kaufmann, Andrea (2011): The EEA in an urban, post-conflict setting, in: Förster, Till et al.: The Emic Evaluation Approach - Epistemologies, Experience, and Ethnographic Practice. Basel Working Papers on Political Transformation (3): 25-29.
- Kaufmann, Andrea (2011): The lost honor: Ex-soldiers fighting for their rights in post-conflict Liberia. Conference Paper of the European Conference on African Studies 2011,