The United Nations Research Institute for Social Development (UNRISD) is an autonomous research institute within the UN system that undertakes interdisciplinary research and policy analysis on the social dimensions of contemporary development issues. Through our work, we aim to ensure that social equity, inclusion and justice are central to development thinking, policy and practice.
UNRISD is now accepting applications from qualified, committed and motivated young professionals for a position as Research Analyst in the area of Social and Solidarity Economy, starting in January 2019.
The Research Analyst will work under the direct supervision of an UNRISD Senior Research Coordinator. The Research Analyst will work primarily on a new research project on sustainable development value indicators, and will assist with the implementation of
other ongoing and future projects in the area of social and solidarity economy (SSE)
. Specific duties of the position will vary as project needs evolve, and are likely to include the following:
Required knowledge, skills and competencies
- Research support: Assist in research related to SSE in general, and particularly the project on sustainable development value indicators. This includes review of the existing literature on social value and social impact assessment (associated, for example, with CSR and SSE); provision of detailed comments and feedback on commissioned research reports; assistance with editing (substantive editing and copyediting) of research papers and their preparation for publication; assistance with drafting new project proposals; and publication of at least one authored/co-authored research paper.
- Project management: Assist in project management and fundraising activities related to ongoing and new projects as required; act as a focal point for queries relating to the overall research area; maintain databases and files of relevant information; identify potential researchers who might collaborate with ongoing and future projects; maintain and update databases of relevant researchers, research institutes and contacts in international organizations; communicate with external networks and consultants; and assist in the preparation of reports for funding partners and the UNRISD Board.
- Event organization: Assist with the organization of meetings, workshops and conferences; and work with the Communications and Outreach (C&O) Unit to ensure excellent event visibility, attendance and coverage.
- Communications and outreach: Collaborate with the C&O team on project-level communications, including producing updates about research for internal distribution; drafting articles or updates for public briefing notes, UNRISD website, eBulletin and social media channels; regularly update and maintain relevant project pages on the UNRISD website (training will be provided); manage research network members’ contact details; and contribute to expanding UNRISD’s institutional networks and partnerships.
Terms and conditions
- Master’s degree in one of the Human and Social Sciences (Political Science, Economics, Business Sciences, Management Studies, Sociology, Humanities, Social Work, Law, Anthropology, Geography) with a specialization in / excellent knowledge of Social Economy and Solidarity Economy, as well as familiarity with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- One to two years of research experience, with demonstrated background and experience in mixed methods research, statistical analysis, and social value and social impact measurement.
- Experience working in developing countries, international environments or networks.
- Excellent written and spoken English. Knowledge of another UN official language an asset.
- Strong overall communication skills, especially writing and editing (English).
- Ability to summarize complex analysis and ideas in clear, message-oriented, accessible language.
- Accuracy and an eye for detail.
- Ability to work co-operatively.
- Active listening skills.
- This is a full-time position located at the Institute’s offices at the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Salary: CHF 4,400 per month
- Duration: Initial trial period of six months, with the possibility of extension (subject to availability of funding).
- Starting date: January 2019 (negotiable).
- UNRISD is not responsible for medical insurance, which is mandatory for the period of assignment.
- UNRISD will cover one return ticket at least costly fare (if the selected candidate is not residing in Geneva).
- Applicants are advised to become familiar with the general work of UNRISD as well as the UNRISD Strategy 2016-2020 before applying for this position;
- If you are interested in the work elaborated above and have the corresponding qualifications, please apply online by clicking the button below;
- Short-listed applicants will be asked to submit relevant publications and carry out a written assignment before being notified if they have been selected for interview;
- We regret that due to limited staff resources only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
16 September 2018 (Midnight, Central European Time).
UNRISD vacancies are posted at www.unrisd.org/vacancies
. We encourage you to subscribe to our free email alerts service
to be informed promptly of any openings.